https://heal-thy-selfnutrition.com/heavy-metal-detox-smoothie/There are 4 reasons why we get sick, stay sick, and have trouble ridding our body from a state of dis-ease.
- Emotional trauma/stress.
- Heavy metals
- Inflammation/hidden infections
- Environmental toxicities (food, water, products)
Knowing this allows to practice root-cause medicine.
No bandaids, guessing, or shots in the dark.
Many are dealing with multiple of the above at the same time and will receive diagnoses such as Diabetes, Dementia, Alzheimer’s, Autoimmune disease, Leaky Gut, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, brain fog, Autism, and more.
It is important to know that these are the manifestations of a combination of these causes.
It is also important to know that once you arm yourself with this information- understanding that what you’re feeling, dealing with, and fighting against is real and has a place of origin – that you are also capable of healing.
You just have to know where to start.
What are heavy metals?
Because of their high degree of toxicity, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead, and mercury rank among the priority heavy metals that are of public health significance. These metals are known to induce multiple organ damage- even at lower levels of exposure. They are also classified as human carcinogens (known or probable) according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
When it comes to heavy metals, the science is clear and ever-growing. Science connects heavy metal build up to the development of Alzheimer’s, reducing mitochondrial function, interfering with tumor-suppressing pathways, depleting glutathione (our strongest antioxidant), and more.
Metals like lead and mercury are able to cross the blood-brain barrier which can lead to neurotoxicity and mood disorders. Mercury also depletes glutathione, vitamin C, and inhibits B vitamins from being produced.
Even a healthier individual is exposed to a multitude of metals daily.
Heavy metals are found in:
- Water supply
- Dental fillings (silver)
- Food supply
- Household products
- Beauty products, lotions, fragrances
- Air pollution
- Pharmaceutical Drugs
The good news is: we can fight back. By adding in specific nutrients, herbs, and practices, we are able to decrease the metal load in the body, provide nutrients that pull metals from our organs (especially the brain!), and promote the body’s ability to rid itself of these toxins.
Here’s my top tips to reducing our heavy metal load:
- Optimize detoxification with some #liverlove. The liver is burdened with the job of ridding the body from toxins, pharmaceutical drugs, pesticides in our food and water, etc. Never before has it had as much work to do as our environment provides today. In this instance, it can become sluggish and backed up. Utilizing specific herbs such as chlorella, spirulina, cilantro, parsley help to bind to metals and move them out of the body. Eating foods like broccoli, kale, radish, garlic, onions provide sulfur-containing minerals to aid in enhancing detox pathways.
- Optimize gut function.
- Reduce exposure to allergenic foods (dairy, gluten, corn, eggs, soy).
- Consuming prebiotic and probiotic foods. Download my gut-loving food list for options!
- Increase antioxidants. Antioxidants are the good guys – they help defend the cells from harm and can even reverse damage. We know metals reduce antioxidants in the body and also create more free radicals (stressors, cell damagers), increasing the need for additional support. Studies show those with Alzheimer’s have brain lesions caused by free radicals. Add foods rich in color: dark berries, leafy vegetables, beets, nuts, beans.
- Sweat. Utilize saunas, hot yoga, exercise to move toxins out of the body.
- Consider removal of mercury fillings. **A biological, specifically-trained dentist is needed for this procedure.
- Poop! Make sure you’re pooping 2x daily to fully eliminate metals from the body. Add ground flax seeds to smoothies, oatmeal, increase fruits and vegetables, water intake. Consider Magnesium if you’re experiencing constipation.
Bonus: I try to incorporate seaweed (binds to metals in gut), wild blueberries (binds to metals in brain), selenium (just 2 Brazil nuts daily!) to really support the removal of metals. I utilize a Heavy Metal Detox smoothie daily to try to get all of the good guys in!
I treat my patients assuming they are loaded with heavy metals and work to incorporate these practices as able to promote the removal of metals. If you’re curious, schedule an Ask Amanda session to receive a kit to perform a heavy metal test to assess your load and assess your results.
Love, light, and healing.