It’s crazy –
we live in a completely different world than even a decade ago, requiring more focus on filling up on the good stuff and getting rid of the bad stuff. In today’s society, daily support is necessary to combat the 80,000+ chemicals we’re exposed to at any given time.
No other generation before ours has been exposed to as many man-made chemicals and toxic substances as we are. Much more than we were designed to handle.
Toxins are everywhere. They’re in our furniture, cleaning products, antiperspirants, cosmetics, kid’s toys, our food supply.. from the air we breathe to the water we drink, food we eat, to the thoughts we think.
There’s no escaping them.
Normally, the immune system, liver, kidneys, and digestive system work together to remove toxins at the same rate as they are encountered.
However, when toxin levels exceed our body’s capacity to remove them, toxins build up and are stored until they are removed. We don’t want these things getting backed up or staying inside of us too long. Toxins have been shown to correlate with immune system dysfunction, inflammation, neuro and skeletal degeneration, weight gain, and more.
Luckily, it’s easy to do!
Seasonally, I like to devote 7 days to really focusing on boosting my body’s natural detoxifying process (#liverlove), but we also can promote our body’s ability to clear these toxins on a day-to-day, manageable basis.
By focusing on the phytonutrients below, your body will obtain support from multiple angles, providing a great foundation to promote optimal functioning (a.k.a get rid of the gunk/get you feeling better quicker).
- Flavonoids are a group of phytonutrients found in plants- mainly fruits and vegetables. They provide antioxidant support and are successful in reducing inflammation and boosting the immune system. Focus on color. Rotate foods like onions, berries, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, celery, peppers, apples throughout your day. Specific herbs also aid in the removal of heavy metal toxins from the liver such as parsley and cilantro. Try to add these to your daily plates.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (ECGC) – helps boost enzymes in phase 2 detoxification. This compound also binds to heavy metals and contains antioxidants. You can find it in green tea – keep it steeped!
- Curcumin – this compound is found in the spice turmeric and binds to heavy metals to take them out of the body, is extremely anti-inflammatory, and promotes the enzymes in phase 2 detox pathways. Use it for seasoning, add to dressings, or in a curry sauce. I keep it close and sprinkle it as often as I can!
- Organosulfur compounds – these are found in foods with slightly bitter tastes (think sulfur) such as onions, garlic, broccoli, kale, bok choy, cabbage, turnips. These also bind to heavy metals and promote phase 1 and 2 detoxification. They also protect the liver and reproductive system from toxins- a unique feature they are known for.
- Complete Greens – I love this product as it’s the only organic, bioavailable form of some of my favorite detoxifiers: spirulina, wheat grass, barley & alfalfa grass, chlorella, broccoli, spinach, and cabbage powder.
Use these foods listed as the basis of your grocery list and try to include them in your plates throughout the day. This is the simplest, most effective way to promote your body’s natural detoxification process bringing you closer to feeling your best.
If you want a guided detox program, check out my 21 day reboot!